Last year we had a heck of a time getting okra to germinate. This year I lined a mason jar with sandpaper, put a bunch of okra seeds in it, shook them vigorously, and then removed the sandpaper and soaked the seeds overnight.
We planted the okra yesterday and today here’s what I found in the jar full of unused seeds! Plus, the tray of okra seedblocks are already starting to come up! Scarring, soaking, and a night in a room with a space heater does the trick.
Here is the list of what we have planted in the last three days: (One tray = 50 soil blocks… 50 plants)
Peppers (4 new trays, the list includes a bunch from earlier plantings)
- Purira Chile Pepper (heirloom, saved seeds)
- Czechoslovokian Black (heirloom, saved seeds)
- Cayenne (heirloom, saved seeds)
- Random seeds from an Easy Bean pepper (2nd generation… from 2005 originally)
- Sonora Pepper
- Giant Szegedi Pepper
- Early Jalepeno
- Jupiter Sweet
- Emerald Giant
- Ace F1
- Cauliflower (3 trays)
- Broccoli (3 trays)
- Eggplant (1 tray)
- Okra (1 tray)
We have more than 500 blocks of soil with seeds/seedlings in them in our little dining room! I don’t know where we’re going to keep all of this stuff – we figured that we need to start at least 1000 of our plants inside!